Nearly all of the chemicals found in Dimock, Pennsylvania are naturally occurring chemicals.  Recently, the EPA’s involvement to test for contaminated water in Dimock, Pennsylvania has caused a slight controversy between State DEP, Cabot, and the EPA. According to the State Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) and Cabot Oil & Gas, the EPA’s involvement may not be necessary; however, both organizations agreed to participate in the EPA’s study. So far, no new data has been collected.

“Our review, so far, tells us that EPA does not seem to have presented any new data here, “ said DEP spokes woman Katherine Gresh, “More than a year ago, DEP’s enforcement action addressed this issue and ensured funds were set aside to resolve the water quality issue for these homeowers.”

Cabot spokesman, George Stark, states that the company meets all federal health standards and believes that the company is not responsible for the health concerns cited by the EPA.

State DEP, found Cabot responsible for the contaminated water supply of 19 homes, the EPA indicated last week that the contaminants in the Dimock water my pose a greater threat than previously acknowledged by State DEP.

Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing make up less than 1% of total liquid used. The remaining 99% of liquid is made up of water and sand. The chemicals used in the hydraulic fracturing process are strategically engineered to protect and contain the drilling site from contaminating outside sources.

Source: